Latest from the Region - Nov 15, 2013 0:01 - 0 Comments
commonspace.eu, October 22, 2013
Serious incident in Tavush region in line of contact. One Armenian soldier killed. Azerbaijanis report Armenian shelling overnight
Full article at: http://commonspace.eu/eng/azerbaijan/6/id2807
Trend.az, October 22, 2013
OSCE Troika-EU Ministers discuss Nagorno-Karabakh settlement
Full article at: http://en.trend.az/news/karabakh/2203241.html
Analysis - Nov 1, 2013 0:13 - 0 Comments
Since the conflicts of the1990s and 2008 August War, Georgia has experienced a high influx of Internally Displaced Persons (IDPs), which has further complicated the country’s economic and social problems. Conflicts in Abkhazia and South Ossetia during the 1990s have caused around 236,000 people to become internally displaced. Later, due to the 2008 August War, 17,000 people had to flee from their homes. Moreover, there are “3,000 people who have been displaced more than once” (IDMC, 2012, pg 3). As a result, there are 265,109 IDPs registered as of April 2012,largely concentrated in the capital (98, 550) and western part of Georgia (89,538 in Samegrelo region and 25, 539 in Imereti region) (IDP Figures, MRA).
There are different social and economic problems that IDPs face in Georgia – most notably obstacles to resettlement, unfavorable living conditions, high unemployment rates, and lack of awareness of IDP issues among the population at large. The Government of Ge . . . Read More
Most Popular Content
- Latest from the Region November Issue
- IDPs in Georgia: Still Waiting for Better Life
- The unbearable starkness of choices: What lies between solution and resumption of the Nagorny Karabakh conflict?
- Internet freedom in Armenia and Azerbaijan: comparative review
- Nagorno-Karabakh Conflict Resolution as a Precondition for Regional Democratization
- Latest From the Region October Issue
- Its very important for funds to be designated for Monitoring and Evaluation. How...
- Regarding the article titled "The Imperative to Ease Tension in the South Caucas...
- I really enjoyed the film and the ways in which the film makers sought to weave ...
- This is a topic that is close to my heart... Thank you!
Where are your contact ...
- Let's set aside Sumgait for a second -- why should Armenia recognize the Khojaly...
- I write a comment whenever I especially enjoy a
post on a site or if I have so...
- "But ironically the Syunik region includes Nagorno Karabakh as the territory is ...
- Tigran, the purpose of the article was not at all to demonize the Armenians or t...